I am in the mood for all things comforting and warming at the momnet. And soup is the perfect thing when feeling that way.
With that in mind a made a batch this afternoon and it is rather tasty. I make soups at work all the time, but never at home and though why is this? I couldn't come up with a good answer so out came the big blue saucepan.
I adapted a Delia recipe and made it my own. My spiced pumpkin (and apple) soup. And here is the recipe:
Anna's Pumpkin and Apple Soup.
- Half a large or one whole small pumpkin (ours was a large one left over from Halloween that had lasted till now. Unbelieveable) de-seeded, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces.
- One white onion finely chopped
- Twelve cardamon pods
- Two teaspoons of ground cumin
- Two teaspoons of corriander
- Two teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- Two pieces of garlic finely chopped
- Two litres of vegetable stock
- One cooking apple cored, peeled and finely grated
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat a teaspoon of butter in a pan and add the cardamon pods and cook until the fizzle. Remove from the heat and crush, discarding the pods and keeping the seeds.
2. Add a bit more butter and add the onions. Cook for a minute or so and then add the garlic, cardamon seeds, cayenne, cumin and coriander and cook for eight to ten minutes on a low heat.
3. Add the pumpkin and give it a stir. Then add the vegetable stock and cook, with the lid on, on a medium heat for twenty or so minutes or till the pumpkin is cooked and soft.
4. Blend the pumpkin with a hand blender and then stir in the grated apple. Season to taste. Then eat. yum.