Thursday, 16 August 2012

More jam!

Good evening! Are you having a good week? I do hope you are.

Having made jam yesterday i fancied giving another recipe a go and so spent an hour or so this evening making some more. You can never have enough jam in my opinion. This time it was spiced blueberry.

I started off with 600g of blueberries and about 250ml of water in my big blue pan. 

To this i added a few teaspoons of cinnamon and ginger (i can't tell you exactly how much as i just kept adding till i thought it was enough!).

I then boiled the mixture of about 15 minutes until the fruit was very soft.

To this i added 550g of caster sugar and a sachet of sugar with pectin. The mixture was then boiled for a further 15-20 minutes until it set (tested with a trusty old frozen saucer).

I got another six full jars of jam. This batch is much mellower then the blackberry and damson but equally as tasty. I now have a flat full of jammy loveliness! Yay.

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

It's jam time again!

So after, lets face it, the unbelievably easy blackberry vodka i made yesterday i thought i should do something a little more challenging.

Sooooo i decided to make some jam. And not just make it, but make the recipe up as well!

I sort of did this last year when i adapted a plum jam recipe and made my own, but this time i decided to not follow a recipe at all and see what happened (mainly because i'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to find one!).

I didn't have enough blackberries on their own to make the jam so i had a root around my freezer and found two tubs of damsons from last year. I was going to make some more damson gin but needs must so they have now become jam. Blackberry and damson jam.

It was very easy actually. I weighed the damsons and blackberries and then weighted out 2/3 of that weight in sugar and put it to one side. I then put the fruit in a large pan (my trusty giant turquoise pan) with just enough water to nearly cover the fruit.

I then boiled it till the fruit was mushy after which i sieved it (this was to get the stones out of the damsons, and also because i don't like lumpy jam).

The liquid then went back into the pan with the sugar and was heated at a rollicking boil for about 10 minutes. After this time i tested to see if it had set (with a saucer i'd put in the freezer) and it had.

Six jars had been sterized with boiling water and this worked out perfectly as i had enough jam for the six jars (i love it when that happens) with a tiny bit left over for me to try. Perfect.

So there you have it, the easiest jam in the world! And it's yummy!

Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Blackberry vodka.

Ok, so i thought about it, and thought about it and decided i really need to increase my yield of fruit flavoured alcohol!

If you read my blog last year you will know that i made a batch of sloe gin and a batch of damson gin, both of which were very tasty. I still have a bottle of both of them in the cupboard, as i am told they are even better after a year. I'm really looking forward to opening them come Christmas time.

So i stuck with the same recipe but substituted the sloes or damsons for blackberries (and the gin for vodka, just to mix it up a bit).
It's really very simple:

1. Fill a plastic bottle a third full with your chosen fruit.

2. Then add a third of sugar.

3. Finally top the whole thing up with vodka.

Now you have to be patient. Give it a good shake and put it in a cupboard and try and forget about drinking it (easier said than done!). You will have to shake it every day for a week then every week for three months. After that leave it as long as you can before you drink it as it just gets better and better.

Now i have a cupboard full of bottles...yummy!

Monday, 13 August 2012

Oooh blackberries!

Look at what i picked today:
I nice big punnet of blackberries. Now all i have to do is decide what to do with them! Watch this space.....