Tuesday 11 October 2011

What is white and sweet and squidgy.....?

.......no not me. I'm talking about marshmallows! I tried out a recipe yesterday at work and they worked a treat

Unfortunately i forgot to take photos whilst i was making them and only remembered at the end once they had set. Sorry about that.


They were pretty easy to make and are made using only egg white, powdered gelatin, golden syrup, vanilla essence, sugar and water so are very cheap to make too.

We kept some of them simple and just covered them in icing sugar. We also made some fancy and rolled them in toasted coconut. I think that the toasted coconut ones look a little like fish fingers! Both types were very tasty and marshmallowy though.

 I
t's easy to toast the coconut just put it in the oven for about five minutes.

The recipe i used involved boiling the sugar and golden syrup to the hard ball stage (127 degrees C) and then adding the gelatin, vanilla essence and egg white. You then leave it to set for about a hour before turning it out and cutting it up. I think we might make giant ones at work.....yup i'll get to feel like a Minpin again. Yay.

You end up with quite a few out of a batch and they'd be great as gifts. Well.....unless you're like me, in which case you'll just eat most of them and then feel a wee bit sick. Naughty.

No comments:

Post a Comment