Sunday 25 August 2013

Rhubarb schnapps.

When i was blackberry picking the other day i also got the chance to nab some freshly grown rhubarb from my aunties allotment.

I didn't know what i was going to make with it but i wasn't about to turn down some lovely rhubarb!


Then, somewhere in the back of my head, a little memory appeared. I had seen a recipe for rhubarb schnapps somewhere. But where? After thinking about it a bit more and raiding my recipe books i remembered it was a Nigella recipe. Perfect.

 

So using that for inspiration i decided to make some! I have been given two large glass demijohns which are just what you need for schnapps making. So the only other things i had to go and buy were a few bottles of vodka and some caster sugar.

 

I started off by cutting all the rhubarb into small pieces and  placing this in the demijohn.


I then covered them with a liberal sprinkling of sugar.

 

And topped the whole thing up with the vodka and gave it a good shake. Done, easy peasy.



Now all i have to do is give it a good shake once a day for a week or so and then once a week after that. It will now go into a nice cozy dark place to mature in time for Christmas. Hooray!


Ps i forgot to put the corks in the top of the demijohn before i took the photo. I obviously didn't try and shake them up without their hats on!

No comments:

Post a Comment