Friday 9 August 2013

Bear and Bug's lemon drizzle cake.

Well hello there! What have you been up to this week? Anything fun? Got any big plans for the weekend? I will be working so no super fun plans for me, although i am hoping to get some sewing done, i have many many projects that need my attention (do you do that? Start things and then start something else.......i do, all the time!).

But today i want to talk cake. It was my father-in-law's birthday a couple of days ago so i decided to make him a little present. A little lemon drizzle cake.



First i got all my utensils together, decided how big to make my cake. I went for extra big (well it was his birthday...... so actually not such a little cake after all!).


Then i mixed together (in Betty my beautiful KitchenAid) 250g butter, 250g sugar, 250g self raising flour, 4 eggs, a dash of vanilla essence and two level teaspoons of baking power. I don't bother creaming the eggs with the sugar, i just bung it all in together and give it a good mix (not too much though as you don't want to over mix it).


I then put the mixture in the lined baking tin and off it went into the oven to bake at 170C for an hour and five minutes.


While it was still warm out of the oven i then jabbed it all over with a toothpick and covered it in a mixture of lemon juice and sugar. I then left it to cool for a bit.




Time to make it even more lemony! I made up a lemon icing with lemon juice and icing sugar and drizzled that over too. This was for extra lemon-ness. To be honest it is lovely if you just leave it with the lemon and sugar but i wanted it to have a bit more razzle dazzle so i made up an icing. That way you get crunchy sugar AND soft lemon icing. Yummy!

 








 Then all i had to do was cut it into slices and put it in a fancy box ready to give (i wanted it to be transportable as my father-in-law was going out for dinner after we saw him so it wasn't gonna be eaten as soon as it was given. Plus this way it looked more like a traditional present.




So if you fancy making a fairly straightforward cake, give it a go. It really is tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment